Toggle site contrast Toggle Contract

NHS Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group ceased to exist at midnight on 30 June 2022.  From 1 July 2022, its functions have been transferred to NHS Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Integrated Care Board which is part of our new Health and Care Partnership.  This website is no longer being maintained and will be archived shortly.  
Please visit our new Integrated Care Board website or the Health and Care Partnership website.

NHS urges people in Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes to start the New Year with a COVID booster

Date: 31/12/2021 | Category: CCG News

The NHS Covid vaccination programme continues at pace and local people who have not yet come forward for their vital top-up vaccine are being encouraged to get boosted now.

Latest figures show that 67% of the eligible population in Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes have now had their booster vaccine, and health chiefs are urging the remaining 33% to take up the offer and have a ‘Jabby New Year’.

Geraint Davies, Senior Responsible Officer for the vaccination programme from NHS Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group, said:

“Our vaccination teams continue to go the extra mile to make sure as many people as possible are vaccinated with their booster; they carried on working tirelessly and administered vaccines on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and will start again on 2 January 2022.

“A massive thank you to everyone who has come forward for their vaccines and boosters – but we still have some work to do if we are to claim we are one of the best protected areas in the country, thanks for doing your bit to protect each other and local NHS services. Vaccination centres remain open for booked appointments and walk-in slots across Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes.”

Around 90% of those currently in hospital with serious complications from Covid are unvaccinated.

Geraint added: “The evidence is clear. Not getting vaccinated against COVID puts you at greater risk of serious illness and death.

“Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect yourself, your family and your friends as we start 2022, whether it be a first, second or booster dose.

“It also means that you are much less likely to end up in a hospital bed that could otherwise be used to treat someone else.”

If you are aged 18+, start your New Year in the best possible way by: protection from getting very COVID poorly or ending up in hospital.

Make an appointment via the NHS national booking service online at or call 119 (free), between 7am and 11pm seven days a week; or you can attend an advertised walk-in site, which can be found at

Both websites are updated every day, throughout the day so please keep checking back for more appointments and walk in locations.

All of our sites offer first and second doses as well as boosters – it’s not too late to catch up. Getting a vaccine is the single biggest step you can take in protecting yourself, your family, and friends from COVID.

Infection rates are still high and the more of us that get fully vaccinated the more chance we have of getting back to normal quickly and reducing the pressure on our hospitals through avoidable admissions.

Our NHS is unlike any other healthcare system in the world, and it is precious – let’s do our bit to support NHS services and the fantastic staff who are working over Christmas to provide the care people need.

A reminder of those who are eligible and should now come forward:

  • 12-15 year olds can now get their second vaccination after three months from their first dose via booked appointment, some walk ins or at school from January onwards.
  • Anyone aged 18+ who had their second dose more than 12 weeks ago can get a booster by booking an appointment or going to and advertised walk in clinic.
  • Immunocompromised patients are now eligible for a fourth vaccine dose at three months after their third dose and will be contacted by their GP practice or can book an appointment or walk in if they are already at 12 weeks.
  • Health and care workers and pregnant women can walk in without an appointment at any vaccination site for a first, second or booster dose. Please make yourself know to staff on site and you will be ‘fast tracked’.

First, second and booster vaccination appointments can be booked through the national booking service by visiting or telephoning 119.

The local NHS is still looking locally for more volunteers to support in non-clinical roles in vaccination centres. To sign up visit:, call: 0203940 4865 or email: [email protected]