My Elective Care Journey in Bedfordshire, Luton & Milton Keynes
This page provides you with the information we have put together in collaboration with our acute hospitals to support patients living in Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes (BLMK) while they wait for their planned care and treatment.
The impact of COVID-19 saw a drastic reduction in routine care being delivered in the NHS nationally, and there were also pre-existing backlogs.
My Hospital Journey:
We have worked with our acute hospital trusts in BLMK, which includes Bedford Hospital, Luton & Dunstable University Hospital and Milton Keynes University Hospital to provide you with information:
– on why there are long waits in the system
– what we are doing to reduce our waiting lists
– how we keep you safe when attending hospital for appointments
– how you can manage your condition while you wait
– how you can prepare for surgery to ensure you are fit enough for it to proceed and avoid further delays.
There is also information on these pages on where you can get further help while you wait. The links below will take you to this information at your local hospital.
My Planned Care:
The Trusts ‘My Hospital Journey’ web pages will be updated soon, with a link to the ‘My Planned Care’ NHS England website. For ease, please see the links to this website below. This website is available now with average waiting time information for each speciality by Hospital Trust.
From April 2022, it will also include helpful advice and information, such as:
- How to manage pain
- Seeking access for support with your mental health
- Keeping healthy and accessing financial help and other local support whilst you wait.
It can also help you to prepare for your appointment or operation, including how to make a plan for your care and treatment – working with your healthcare professional.
Updated weekly, the site is easy-to-use and is ‘open-access’ so carers, friends, relatives and NHS teams can also access this information.
We encourage people waiting for elective care to look at this site first, where you may find the information you need, before contacting your GP practice or the hospital for an update.
Or download the NHS App: NHS App – NHS (www.nhs.uk)